Tuesday, August 26, 2003

i was at work today, like everyday (not to sound bleak), and a patient comes in and has his exam and he happens to be friends with the dr. he comes out and looks at me and we have the following piece of conversation:

him: "have i met you before?"
me: "umm...maybe" [given that he's asian and is familiar due to the asian christian circle]
him: "oh i know, i've seen you in the cohi video."
me: [inner monologue says "NOOOOOOOO!!!" - with anguish] i really say: "oh... yea... heh...heh..."

i think that mr. ahn and mr. chan owe me...big time. it's funny when people you know bring it up, and even people you don't know as well. but, when virtual strangers recognize you from the cohi video, then i think it's just weird and embarrassing. for real, if chong gets famous one day in hollywood or wherever in film, i'm calling in a phatty favor. :) same goes to garrett.

today, i was reminded of a time in high school. back then my school friends classified me as a "smart kid" in advanced classes and etc (but not as smart as the "ultra smarty-little social skills kids"). anywho, my church/youth group friends had no idea. one day, at lunch after church we were sitting around and our friend ken (who's like the epitome of business man who schmoozes with the best of them) asks me, "so what classes are you taking this year?" i think that at this time, he was already in college or something. anyway, i list my classes, which consisted of a bunch of AP/advanced classes, and he says, "huh...wow...i thought you were like wendy." now, wendy is my cousin who is also a smart girl and who happened to be sitting next to him. i think she smacked him. or maybe she was just like "what is that supposed to mean?" i can't remember and it matters not. the point is, i find that often times, i am perceived as...shall we say, "ditzy." and that's fine, as i'm sure i have speech and behavioral patterns to support such a conclusion. i have made my peace with it - i'm book smart...not always "common sense" smart/street smart.

the above was prompted by a friend's joking comment that i can come across as "ditzy." but i say, hey, whatever...that's cool. it's ok to be me. (the actual poster says, "it's ok to be you" and is located at a red robin's near you. find it if you need some affirmation.)

No comments: