Monday, January 14, 2008

latest obsession

my time at home as launched a new obsession. forget pop culture news. these days, i'm reading a sport blog, mostly having to do with the blazers. but, i've recently discovered gilbert arenas's blog, because he mentions the blazers, and i have to say, it's pretty entertaining.

i used my internet search skills to find a new jersey radio station broadcasting the blazers vs. nets game because i couldn't find a live stream anywhere (and because i don't have NBA TV) and then at half-time, kept refreshing my blackberry until i could make it home through traffic to get the radio broadcast again. i told my brother this, and he laughed at me.

anyway, blazers won. and i just watched the sonics lose out to the lakers in OT. boo.

-----------------------------------

this morning, the kids were walking up the stairs and one of the kids, edward, tells me that his mom told him he's not black. i stopped walking and looked at him. he said, "my mom said we're asian." edward is korean-american. i swallowed my laugh and said, "edward, why did you ask your mom if you were black?" his response, "because you said we're not white." great...good one teacher. i clarified with edward that not being considered "white" just meant that we were minorities/under-represented people group (whichever you prefer as i know some from my ucla cohort do not like the term "minority"). i told him that not everything is black and white. i also told him to tell his mom that i did not tell him that he's black. edward and i had a pretty good laugh about it. now he knows he's asian-american.

No comments: