Thursday, April 29, 2004

hola from spain. after many hours of travel, three plane changes, a bus ride, and a little walking (and getting a bit lost along the way), i'm in the lobby of my hostel waiting to check in. i was trying to follow the walking directions from the bus stop and it was going well, except that somewhere along the way, i forgot to take a turn or something. and when you're lost, you start asking people on the street. of course, i thought, hey, i can do this bit in spanish. wouldn't you know, the first person i ask turns out to be british and speak only english, and was like, "i don't understand a thing you're saying love" and promptly kept on going. thanks lady. i eventually tried a restaurant and the guy outside runs inside and drags another guy outside to point me in the right direction.

restaurant dude: ¿hablas espaƱol?
lost me: un poco.
first restaurant dude: she speaks english
restaurant dude: oh ok... (and proceeds to give me directions)

his directions lead me to this set of "stairs" which was really just a cobblestone hill. i dragged my luggage up and was still confused. good thing another dude pointed me to my left. i saw it and almost wept with joy. ok, there was no weeping, but there was a "praise the Lord!"

and now i'm waiting to check-in. i love that they have free internet access 24 hours a day. yay! i'm so tired. i think it's actually siesta hour now, but i need to drag myself to the school and finish my admin stuff there and find more permanent housing for the time that i'm here. ok, more later.

No comments: