Saturday, January 15, 2005

accident prone.

so i twisted/turned my ankle a couple of days ago. just about an hour ago, my car ran into a lamppost in my neighborhood. it's icy conditions here in portland with freezing rain and most of the roads outside of my neighborhood are drivable. my dad gave me the suggestion that i try an alternate in my neighborhood to get to our house. so, in low gear, i tried his way, and it involved making a right turn going downhill. i was starting to turn when the car started sliding sideways and the car jumped the curb and was headed towards somebody's lawn and house, so i turned the wheel away, which caused the driver's side door to slam into the lamppost, which then somehow helped turn my car away from a bunch of brick-structured mailboxes and driveway lights and back out onto the street, where i finally stopped sliding and found myself parked against the curb.

there were these kids in a nearby cul-de-sac who made their way over and were like, "ma'am, ma'am, are you okay?" my first thought was, "i'm not a ma'am." i was totally fine and i told them that i was. they offered to get their parents, but it was so icy and one of them fell on their front step, and i told them not to bother, and that i had a cell phone with me to call for help. i did ask them how much damage i did, and they said the only thing i hit was the lamppost and someone's lawn. they also told me the only place that sustained any impact on my car was my driver's side door, so that was a relief. i called up to my house and my brother andy walked down in metal football cleats to haul me up the hill, with my bad left ankle no less. it was only after i got home that it hit me how scared i was, sitting in the car spinning and out of control. andy was like, "you don't have to cry." i yelled back, "i'm traumatized and i'll cry if i want to." i wasn't really crying, it was more sniffles and a couple of tears, just to get it out of my system. i've been rear-ended and had someone back into my car before, but this is the first time where i'm at fault, though i'd rather blame the weather and icy roads. so later, when the ice melts, i'll have to trek back down to get my car, and all of my stuff. so lame.

No comments: