Wednesday, May 30, 2007

rescuer of the geeks: part II and other stories

so a few weeks back, i rescued a stranded jeff. his motorcycle battery died somewhere in santa monica. last week, his car was stolen and then subsequently recovered by LAPD. it was being held for investigation/fingerprinting until yesterday. i was called upon for my access to AAA (from the time that my transmission died after a volleyball game in north seattle and my whole team stayed with me to wait for the tow truck) to help jeff tow the remains of his car back to his apartment. after the impound released his car, this is what we saw:


most of it was gone! they took just about everything they could from the car, including his crockpot that he'd just gotten back from mj! the first thing the tow guy said when he saw us was, "DA-AMN!" it was hilarious. fortunately, he was pretty knowledgeable about cars and his assessment says the car was probably stripped down in a warehouse where they had the time to take car to unplug and strip the car in the nicest way possible. i'm not sure if jeff found that very comforting.






they took the back bumper, which means they also took his "real men love Jesus" license plate holder. they were kind enough to leave the "Jesus" fish though.

-------------------------------------------------

so, i'm 98% done with my thesis. i turned it all in, and i'm just waiting on the second reader to provide tell me if i passed. my primary thesis reader e-mailed me this week with the following comments:


i'm so relieved! it feels wonderful to be *this* close to being done with grad school. it's about 2.5 weeks from graduation and only 22 more school days until i'm done with year 1! summer vacation is SOOOOOOOO close.

----------------------------------------------------

jessica e-mailed me earlier to tell me that there was a problem with her bridesmaid dresses and how she had to look for new ones and here's the excerpt:

"The reason why this email is entitled "boooo" is cuz I finally heard back from the bridesmaid dress shop in downtown and they lady told me that due to a manufacturing problem they are not able to get the dresses I ordered in the sizes I need by my wedding date. Argh, I guess it's back to the sketching board for me."

that part in bold italics is the latest jarbling.

6 comments:

G said...

so how many pages is your thesis clocking in at?

david said...

dood. that totally looks like how my acura must have looked when they found it stripped and dumped in an orchard in yakima. same car- black gsr coupe... so sad. when i saw jeff's car over the summer, i had a sentimental moment, but now he has suffered the same fate... curse you, acura chop-shops!

steph said...

gar - it's 75 pages written text...plus 50+ pages of scanned documents, like student work samples, etc.

david - it was pretty sad. jeff took it well, he's surprisingly not attached to material goods. you never got to see your car?

minjuice said...

def'ly the best part of the story is that they took jeff's 'real men love jesus' license plate frame.

dood i wanna read your paper! it sounds awesome! great job, proud of ya :D

Ryan said...

That was fun! we had donuts and hot chocolate.. and i think some fried chicken if i remember. your car should breakdown more often. ps, I know somebody that likes you...

kk said...

wow, congrats on graduating and for your awesome thesis paper. i'm not even a teacher, but those comments made me curious to read it too.