Thursday, October 09, 2003

on monday afternoon, while i was still at home in portland, i went to nw portland to meet up with some of the bridesmaids [those of us not working on that particular day]. i arrived and coffee people and saw jenny in line buying coffee. i stood in line and got a milkshake. the person at the cash register asked me which care bear was on my shirt. i said it was good luck bear. i have no idea if that's the bear's real name, but the bear is green and has a shamrock on its belly. anyway, the cashier guy thought it was cool. i sit down and wait for my name to be called so i can get my milkshake. as i walk up to pick it up, the following conversation occurs:

coffee guy: "are you 21?"
me: [internally i think - did i order something with alcohol in it? i am now confused] "...yes."
coffee guy: "have you heard of om?"
me: [again internally, i think - does he mean like the spiritual/chanting om? probably not.] "um...what is that?"
coffee guy: "it's a club."
me: "oh...yea... no, i don't do that." [but said with a smile so as not to seem mean]
coffee guy: "oh ok."

i felt lame and uncool...not having known what om was.

-

today at work, a man came in and asked if we had any work. i didn't expect that request so i was confused [a common theme this week] and said no. i guess all he needed was 50 cents and was looking for a small job to do to earn it. i have no idea why i didn't just give him 50 cents. i think he caught me off guard at work...but as soon as he left, common sense snapped back in and said to me, "hey dork...why didn't you just get change from your bag?" so all the rest of the day, this has been on my mind. he asked to earn it. i wish that that kind of generosity was automatic to me. as today's event testifies, it is not. sad.

No comments: