Wednesday, March 07, 2007

happy little trees

today, my class had to take a state writing test. since we've been drilling them with writing for the last 3 weeks, we decided that the rest of the day (after the test) should be fun and relaxing, like a celebration of their accomplishment. we passed out drumstick ice cream cones after lunch and did some art. i taught the kids how to paint a landscape, right after jenny taught me how during our lunch. here's my attempt:

i kind of felt like bob ross. i wanted to tell the kids to paint some happy little trees. anyway, while they were painting, i heard one of the girls say, "calm down your horses." i laughed quietly, then called her over to let her know that the phrase is "hold your horses" but that my roommate also says "calm your horses." jessica felt redeemed, i think, when i told her the story.

in addition to feeling very bob ross, i felt very disheveled, a total mess. during recess, i went to the workroom to get paint, only to have it spill on my shirt because of a loose cap. later, i dropped chocolate ice cream on my shirt. i had planned to meet grace after school to go to santa monica to get some sand for her class project. i did not feel fit to be out in public, but didn't get a chance to change. as we were crossing the street towards the pier, a random older white dude in a SUV on a cell phone yells out, "gabrielle says hi!" right at me. so, i smiled and waved at him - "hi" right back at you, gabrielle. my stained shirt might have made me look like a target...

1 comment:

minjuice said...

woah that is a great painting! i'm impressed. what a sweet idea to treat the kids after their test :)

i used to watch bob ross when i lived at home; he was very relaxing to watch.