Thursday, August 24, 2006

head above water

day 5 of teaching. i haven't cried yet...but i want to. today was not the best day. one boy called some girls a "bad word" - you can guess which it was. another boy was closed-fist pounding on a boy who said something to him that he didn't like. after school, he had to tell his mom and dad what he did and why it was that they were called in. he started crying, which made me want to cry - my eyes did get red. my literacy coach, who facilitated the conversation told me afterwards that i need to hold my response in better. i agree...but it was just so sad watching this little boy cry and confess.

oh goodness...it's only the fifth day of school!!! it's days like today that really make me question my ability to teach. one of the worst things is when i see their little faces and how bored they are. so sad. i'm barely keeping it together. i just want to make it to friday. every week just cannot be like this one. i think i might lose it.

1 comment:

rly said...

you're doing great. you'll get through it. talk to wc... she went though exactly the same things when she first started.

hmm... what if i started guessing what it was that the boy called the girl? would you delete this comment? would you think it's funny? would you start laughing?

cheer up honeybowl! *spank*