Saturday, September 14, 2002

last night i went to watch my little brother's jv football game against southridge high school. sunset totally won - 28 to 14. i watched andy take down the guy with the ball in the 2nd or 3rd quarter...yay! it was actually pretty fun. i try to make it to at least one game each year before i leave for school or something, especially since my parents never go.

i was driving home earlier tonight and i was thinking about how surprisingly well-adjusted the 3 of us are - considering our parents. our parents are great - definitely providing for us, etc. it just would have been nice if they actually participated in our lives - in things like showing up at our sports games. i mean...they actually asked me if they needed to be at my high school graduation. it's not that they don't care, i don't think. they want us to get into good colleges, get good jobs, marry great people, etc, etc - but sometimes i feel like they expect all these things, but they don't want to be involved. for example, my parents wanted me to play the piano and they went to all my recitals, up until i could drive myself to them - then they stopped showing up. it used to bother me slightly, but after awhile, it stops mattering...but i wish so much for mike and andy that it would've been different.

i was sitting in those bleachers yesterday and surrounded by parents and friends of the kids on the team. i saw a mom who had like 3 photo buttons of kids on the team. i saw dads cheering when their kid did something noteworthy. it just makes me sad that my parents can't...maybe won't...spend 3 hours once a week to watch their son do something that he loves so much.

eh. on the upshot, i found out that on my way to taiwan with my dad, we get to spend the day in san francisco on tuesday! yay! hopefully cora won't be too busy - yay! i get to visit her!

No comments: